Greetings!

Welcome to our little blog. Turn out the lights, pull up a chair, light a candle and join us in the Haunted Heartland!







Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Captain's Grave

THE CAPTAIN'S GRAVE

 Why do most people like to read spooky stories and learn about things that go "bump" in the night? I know that I have been that way since I first learned to read. I craved reading and books since I learned to read and could not get enough of them!  I would often sneak a book and flashlight under the covers on school nights and read long past my bedtime. My mom always told us that books can take you everywhere and anywhere, and I still believe that.

While doing some research many years ago on haunted locations in West Virginia, I came across the name of a cemetery in Parkersburg and felt drawn to visit and experience it for myself. Riverview Cemetery was my destination.  I was armed with a camera and a warm coat. On a chilly autumn day I ventured on the 225 mile drive from NE Ohio... and headed south.



I came across an interesting headstone in Riverview Cemetery while exploring  on that fall day. I remembered reading a story about the occupant and his child who lay buried next to him. The cemetery is one of Parkersburg West Virginia's most historic...and it was allegedly haunted. Of course it piqued my interest!



The cemetery itself is a modest size and very easy to walk thru with a meandering trail leading through it. It's perched up on a hill and offers an interesting view of an old vacant building towards the back of the lot. The building gave me a mild case of the creeps and I made a mental note to research it when I had the chance.



Some people call cemeteries the "Silent Cities of the Dead". Walking around at Riverview caused me to look over my shoulder more than once, I have to admit!
Apparitions have been seen at the cemetery, statues are said to grant wishes and people swear they smell the salt of the ocean while standing next to one grave in particular.



It is the final resting place of Captain George Deming. Ummm...maybe NOT the final resting place as it seems the good Captain is said to be up and strolling around at times.

To read the entire story, check out the article as it is featured online this month at Two-Lane Livin' in my Fireside Folklore column.

Happy Hauntings!

2 comments:

  1. I live in the Captain George Deming house. I can attest to a few unexplainable events. I somewhat of a skeptic so I have to admit it perplexes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am formerly Amy Markey, my father, John Donald Kane Markey and my grandparents John Donald and Mary-Patricia Knee Markey owned the 1104 Juliana side. My family and I used to visit there often and have very fond memories and lots of photos of the house before it was sold in 1994. I would love to share them with you.

    ReplyDelete